New Delhi, Aug 16 (IBNS): India's top carmaker Maruti Suzuki on Thursday announced it will lift the lock-out at its Manesar facility on August 21.
Work in the Manesar plant, which witnessed unprecedented violence and burning down of an HR manager, was suspended for an indefinite period.
“Maruti Suzuki India Limited today announced that the lock-out at its Manesar facility will be lifted on 21 Aug 2012,” read a company statement on Thursday.
The company had declared a lock-out at the Manesar plant on July 21 following large scale violence by workmen on July 18.
In the violence a general manager, Awanish Kumar Dev, was burnt to death inside the plant facilities and 96 supervisors and managers were injured or hospitalized.
The company had stated that it could only start production when the safety and security of its managers, supervisors and workers could be ensured.
“The police has arrested a number of workers, including the 12 Union leaders, and started legal processes to bring the guilty to book. More arrests may follow the police investigations, which are continuing,” read the company statement.
The company said it will work closely with the government ‘to ensure that those guilty of causing the death of Awanish Dev and of perpetrating violence are brought to book'.
The company said the state government has decided to take a number of steps to enhance the security of Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL) employees which include the setting up a Rapid Action Force of 500 police personnel headed by a senior police officer near the Manesar area.
In each shift 100 of them will be in the Maruti Suzuki Manesar factory.
“MSIL has created a special force of 100 security guards, including ex-servicemen, at its Manesar Plant in addition to the existing security force, to enhance security," the company said.
“We believe that these measures, and the continuing efforts of the Haryana government and its police force, to investigate, arrest and prosecute the criminals involved in the violence on 18th July, will create a safe environment for work to resume,” it said.
The company said the re-start of production at the Manesar plant would be gradual and will be taken up in phases.
Speaking on manpower, the company statement said: "Based on internal investigations, the company has identified those workers who were involved in the violence and in whom the company has lost confidence.
"The company has taken note of the fact that only a few months back, following a mutually agreed settlement, these workers had signed a good conduct undertaking. These workers will not be taken back."
"This list of workers includes the persons arrested by the police and who are likely to face criminal proceedings, and are also in our list," it said.
"If in the course of our enquiries or police investigations, it appears that more workers were involved in the violence, action will be taken against them as and when required," read the statement.
"In accordance with the declared policy to not employ contract workers provided by contractors, on the direct production line, the Company has started the process of directly hiring them.
"The schedule of recruitment has been communicated to all the existing contract workers through the contract agencies and recruitment would start from September 2, 2012," the statement said.
Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL, formerly Maruti Udyog Limited) is a subsidiary of Suzuki Motor Corporation of Japan.
The company has two manufacturing facilities located at Gurgaon and Manesar, south of New Delhi. Both the facilities have a combined capability to produce over a 1.5 million (1,500,000) vehicles annually.
In June last year, a 13-day strike demanding the recognition of the erstwhile Maruti Suzuki Employees' Union (MSEU) had brought production to a standstill at the plant and was followed by a month-long standoff in August and a 14-day strike in October.