New Delhi, July 21 (IBNS) The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) said rainfall scenario has significantly improved over east and northeast India and also over south Peninsula.
All India Weather Evening Bulletin as given by the IMD is as below:
Highlights of the last week
• Monsoon trough at mean sea level remained north of its normal position throughout the week. As a result, week monsoon conditions prevailed over most parts of northwest India and adjoining central India.
• Active to vigorous monsoon conditions prevailed over many parts of north eastern states & adjoining east India and south Peninsula.
Rainfall during the week (12- 18 July)
Compared to last week, rainfall scenario has significantly improved over east & northeast India and also over south Peninsula.
Out of 36 meteorological sub-divisions, rainfall was excess/normal in 14 (mainly over north eastern states & adjoining east India and south Peninsula) deficient in 16 and scanty in 06 sub-divisions (mainly in northwest and central India) during the week. In area-wise distribution, 32% area of the country received excess/normal rainfall. Remaining 68% area received deficient/scanty rainfall. Meteorological sub-division wise rainfall for the week is given in Annexure I.
Seasonal Rainfall Scenario (1 June -18 July)
For the country as a whole, seasonal rainfall during this year’s monsoon has so far upto 18 July been 22% below the LPA, same as that by the end of last week.
Out of 36 meteorological subdivisions, the rainfall has been excess/normal over 11, deficient in 22 and scanty in 03 sub-divisions (Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh & Delhi and Saurashtra & Kutch). In area-wise distribution, 24% area of the country received excess/normal rainfall. Remaining 76% area received deficient/scanty rainfall. Meteorological sub-division wise seasonal rainfall is given in Annexure II.
· Today a low pressure area has formed over northwest Bay of Bengal and adjoining coastal areas of Odisha and West Bengal. It would move westnorth westwards across Odisha, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh.
· The axis of monsoon trough at mean sea level has shifted southwards and it would remain slightly south of its normal position throughout the week.
· An off shore trough at mean sea level runs from Konkan coast to Karnataka coast.
· Analysis of meteorological conditions suggests likely formation of a fresh upper air cyclonic circulation over northwest Bay of Bengal around 26 July.
Forecast for next one week (21 - 27 July)
· Rainfall would occur at many places over east and central India on many days of the week.
· Rainfall would occur at many places along the west coast and at a few places over interior south Peninsula.
· Intensity of rainfall would decrease over north eastern states. However light to moderate rainfall would occur at a few places during next two days and at many places thereafter.
· Rainfall would be subdued over plains of northwest India during first half of the week. However it would increase during the second half.
· Isolated heavy to very heavy falls are expected mainly over Madhya Pradesh, Vidarbha, on some days of the week and on one or two days over Odisha and Chhattisgarh.