Pomfret Steaks - 1 kg, cleaned
Oil - 2 tblsp
Onion - 1, large, chopped
Bay Leaf - 1
Basmati Rice - 2 cups, washed
Salt - 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves - 1 tblsp
Coconut - 1 tblsp, freshly grated
For the Marinade:
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Lime Juice - 2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
For the Masala:
Dried Red Chillies - 6, large, deseeded and chopped
Ginger - 1 inch piece, roughly diced
Garlic Cloves - 8, peeled
Coconut - 3 tblsp, freshly grated
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece, broken
Cloves - 2
Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Aniseed Powder - 1 tsp
Nutmeg Powder - a pinch
Salt - 1 tsp
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients and rub into fish.
2. Keep aside to marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Grind all the masala ingredients with little water to a smooth paste.
4. Heat 1 tblsp oil in a flat bottomed pan over medium heat.
5. Add the onions and fry till transparent.
6. Add the ground masala and fry for 3 minutes.
7. Add the fish along with the marinade and 1/2 cup of water.
8. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
9. Keep aside.
10. Place a large pan and add 1 tblsp oil.
11. Add bay leaf and when it starts to splutter, reduce heat.
12. Add rice and fry for 2 minutes.
13. Switch off the heat.
14. Add 1/2 tsp salt and cover rice with double the quantity of water.
15. Over low heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
16. Add extra water if required.
17. When the rice grains are fairly firm and separate and can be crushed easily, it is cooked.
18. Turn off heat and keep aside.
19. Remove half the quantity of rice into a bowl.
20. Pour half the fish over rice.
21. Cover with remaining rice.
22. Pour the rest of the fish on top.
23. Cover pan tightly and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
24. Turn off heat but keep it covered for another 5 minutes.
25. Garnish with coconut and coriander leaves.
26. Serve hot.