February 17, 2026 06:09 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Govt extends reduced excise duties on some goods for 6 months

| | Jun 26, 2014, at 01:14 am
New Delhi, June 25 (IBNS): Providing a relief for car buyers, the Narendra Modi government on Wednesday decided to extend the excise duty concessions announced by the previous UPA-II government in its interim budget for another six months till Dec 31, 2014.
Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said that the facility of reduced excise duties to some segments has been extended for a further period of six months.
 
"In February this year, excise duties with regard to several categories of automobile vehicles were reduced for a brief period. Similarly some excise duty concessions were granted on capital goods and some consumer durables. Now these reduced excise duties had been were made applicable till the 30th of June this year," Jaitley told mediapersons.
 
"Considering the present situation in various sector, the government today decided to extend the facility of reduced excise duties to all these segments for a further period of six months that is they will continue till 31st December," the Finance Minister said.
 
He had also announced that small cars, motorcycles, scooters and commercial vehicles will have a lower excise duty of 8 percent from 12 percent, while excise duty on SUV's was reduced by 6 percent from 30 to 24 percent. 
 
Excise duty on large and middle segment cars was reduced to 24/20 percent, down from 27/24 percent.
 
Reacting to the announcement, Ratan Tata, chairman emeritus, Tata Group tweeted  "The nation voted 4 change. We need 2 stand together 2 support the new Govt's actions  to re-build economic growth and prosperity in India."
 
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Related Videos
RBI announces repo rate cut Jun 06, 2025, at 10:51 am
FM Nirmala Sitharaman presents Budget 2025 Feb 01, 2025, at 03:45 pm
Nirmala Sitharaman on Budget 2024 Jul 23, 2024, at 09:30 pm