February 20, 2026 08:09 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Supreme Court strikes down TRAI's call-drop mandate

| | May 11, 2016, at 11:16 pm
New Delhi, May 11 (IBNS) The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled in favour of telecom companies (telcos) and struck down the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India's (TRAI's) regulation which mandated that telcos have to compensate subscribers for 'call drops', according to media reports.

COAI, a body of Unified Telecom Service Providers of India and 21 telecom operators, including Vodafone, Bharti Airtel and Reliance, had approached the country's highest court when the Delhi High Court upheld TRAI's decision to penalise the telcos from January 2016.

The telcos informed the Supreme Court (SC) that the sector is facing a huge debt burden and paying a high price for spectrum. The 'call drop penalty is an added burden.

They also refuted TRAI's claim that they are not investing in infrastructure and said that in the past 15 months they have installed two lakh towers, media reported.

SC called the Trai order "arbitrary, unreasonable and non-transparent," according to reports.

In October last year, Trai had said that starting January 1 operators would be required to give one rupee for every call drop to the user, with a maximum of three per day.

In April, when the telcos had approached the apex court, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi supported TRAI's decision  and said that four to five service providers are running a cartel of billion subscribers, media had reported.

Kapil Sibal, who was representing the telcos, called the Wednesday judgement a 'historic' one, media reported.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.
Related Videos
RBI announces repo rate cut Jun 06, 2025, at 10:51 am
FM Nirmala Sitharaman presents Budget 2025 Feb 01, 2025, at 03:45 pm
Nirmala Sitharaman on Budget 2024 Jul 23, 2024, at 09:30 pm