February 16, 2026 11:27 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Representative image of COVID-19 testing. Photo courtesy: PIxabay

Bengaluru reports first COVID-19 death in 2025, 84-year-old man with severe comorbidities dies

| @indiablooms | May 25, 2025, at 01:44 pm

Bengaluru/IBNS: The city of Bengaluru reported its first COVID-19 death on Saturday, the Karnataka Health Department said in an official statement.

The victim, an 84-year-old man, was admitted to a private hospital in Whitefield, Bengaluru, and died on May 17. He had tested positive for COVID-19, health officials confirmed on Saturday.

The man, who had multiple pre-existing health conditions, was hospitalised on May 13.

He was tested for COVID-19 when he was alive, but the report returned positive posthumously, sparking fresh concerns amid a recent spike in infections.

A total of 35 active COVID-19 cases have been reported in Karnataka so far, out of which 32 are from Bengaluru.

Earlier, a nine-month-old baby boy tested positive for COVID-19 in Bengaluru, health department officials said on Friday.

A gradual rise in cases has been observed over the past 20 days, as per the health department.

Harsh Gupta, principal secretary of the Health & Family Welfare department, said the baby tested positive via a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) on May 22.

Speaking to reporters earlier in the day, Karnataka Health Minister Dinesh Gundu Rao urged residents to remain calm and continue with their regular routines.

“When people see headlines suggesting a COVID resurgence, they tend to panic. I want to reassure everyone that the situation is under control,” he said.

Rao appealed to the media to report responsibly and not sensationalise the rise in cases. “COVID-19 is not new. It turned into a pandemic five years ago, and now we’re equipped to deal with it. There is no need to exaggerate its severity,” he added.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.