February 17, 2026 09:09 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Canada
Representational image of wildfire/courtesy: Unsplash

Canada: Officials declare state of emergency in British Columbia as wildfires force evacuations in Kelowna

| @indiablooms | Aug 19, 2023, at 06:08 am

Okanagan (B.C.)/IBNS: Evacuation orders were reportedly issued after a wildfire jumped Lake Okanagan, sparking spot wildfires in Kelowna and forcing thousands of people to leave from their homes in British Columbia's Okanagan.

A state of emergency has been declared by Okanagan, which has a population of almost 150,000.

A local state of emergency was also declared Thursday night by the City of West Kelowna and the Westbank First Nation due to that same wildfire.

With more than 1,000 properties under evacuation orders, about 2,500 people have been impacted and officials estimate another 5,500 properties under alert.

Jason Brolund, chief of the West Kelowna fire department, was reported saying that the evacuation order area was likely to grow.

On Thursday, Brolund had warned that drought conditions could worsen the condition at a moment's notice. "It will take literally nothing to get a fire started," he said.

The province was experiencing the most critical portion of the wildfire season so far, with strong winds and lightning forecast for almost the entire area, officials have warned.

"We are expecting significant [wildfire] growth, and we are expecting our resources to be challenged from north to south of the province over the next 48 hours," Cliff Chapman, director of wildfire operations for the B.C. Wildfire Service was reported to say.

People had also been warned by Neal McLoughlin, a wildfire service forecaster, that people across the province, particularly in the southern and Interior regions, should be prepared to leave their homes.

As of Thursday afternoon, the most recorded land burned in the province's history amounts to more than 16,000 square kilometres of land burned in B.C.

B.C. had already received several dozen people on Thursday from N.W.T. Hospitals and care homes and is still struggling to help wildfire evacuees from the Northwest Territories, where Yellowknife is being evacuated.

(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.