February 18, 2026 08:02 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
China Omicron
Image: Representational image from Pixabay

China introduces stringent measures to counter Omicron threat

| @indiablooms | Dec 23, 2021, at 02:05 am

Beijing: China, the country from where novel coronavirus infection is believed to have originated, has introduced stringent Covid-19 quarantine and border control rules to counter the threat of Omicron.

The latest measures, announced on Monday, came after six Omicron cases were identified in three Chinese cities within a week, reports South China Morning Post.

Changsha in central Hunan province reported two imported Omicron cases on Saturday, after one each in Tianjin and Guangzhou earlier in the week, the newspaper reported.

Meanwhile, the Chinese mainland reported 57 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Wednesday.

Of the new local cases, 53 were reported in Shaanxi, two in Guangdong, and one each in Tianjin and Guangxi, the commission said.

There are 20 new imported cases in six provincial-level regions, according to the commission.

Two new suspected cases arriving from outside the mainland were reported in Shanghai and no new deaths from COVID-19 were reported on Tuesday, it added.

The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland had reached 100,544 by Tuesday, including 1,765 patients still receiving treatment, of whom seven were in severe conditions.

A total of 94,143 patients had been discharged from hospitals on the mainland, and 4,636 had died as a result of the virus.

A total of 19 asymptomatic cases were newly reported Tuesday, all arriving from outside the mainland.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.