February 20, 2026 12:05 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Germany's Robert Koch Institute believes second wave of COVID-19 began in Iran

| @indiablooms | Jun 23, 2020, at 05:44 pm

Berlin/Sputnik: An increase in the number of new cases of the coronavirus infection in Iran indicates that a second wave of the pandemic has begun in the country, President of the Robert Koch Institute Lothar Wieler said on Tuesday.

Since June 14, Iran has been registering more than 100 deaths from the coronavirus per day in what many have dubbed the second wave of the virus. The surge took place after daily cases started to climb again in early June following religious events and the opening of mosques and restaurants.

"According to our assessment, a second wave is taking place in Iran. The number of cases has decreased significantly there, and an increase in their number [now] speaks in favor of a second wave. In South Korea, we assume that this is an increase in the number of cases, but whether this is a second wave, we cannot say so far, we do not think so," Wieler said at a press conference.

The president also said that, according to the World Health Organization, there was rather “peak, not the beginning of a second wave” in South Korea.

In South Korea, since early May, new local clusters of COVID-19 and an increase in the number of imported cases cause periodic surges in the daily increment of those infected. In general, the daily number of new cases ranges from 30 to 60 people. On Tuesday, South Korea registered 46 new cases of COVID-19 with the total number of infections rose to 12,484. Meanwhile, 10,908 patients have recovered, 281 others died.  

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.