February 17, 2026 05:50 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Greenpeace strongly rebuts MHA allegations, demands unblocking of domestic accounts

| | May 09, 2015, at 04:30 am
New Delhi, May 8 (IBNS): Greenpeace India on Friday submitted a comprehensive rebuttal to allegations contained in the MHA's 'show cause notice', dated April 9 and has demanded the immediate unblocking of its domestic bank accounts.
The document was delivered in person on Friday morning by an official delegation from Greenpeace India.
 
“We are confident that this response establishes our legitimacy beyond any doubt,” said Samit Aich, executive director, Greenpeace India. “We have addressed every allegation made against us, and responded in a transparent and honest way throughout. In contrast, the MHA has used unfounded allegations and arbitrary penalties in a blatant attempt to silence us. We remain proud of our campaigns for clean air, water and affordable energy, and refuse to be intimidated by such dirty tricks.”
 
According to Greenpeace India, the show cause notice is riddled with clerical errors, as well as unfounded allegations that undermine the MHA’s position. Greenpeace also accused the MHA of failing to respond to its own requests for documents and ‘leaking misinformation to the media instead of abiding by the principles of natural justice’. 
 
Aich continued: “We have been operating in India for over 14 years and have filed our accounts properly and reliably throughout this time. The MHA’s current attack simply does not stand up to scrutiny, and we are confident that expert analysis will support that claim. Let’s be clear: this is not about spreadsheets and sums. It is a cynical attempt to shut Greenpeace down by a ministry that lacks the courage to come out and say so directly.”
 
 
Earlier in the day, members of prominent civil society organisations addressed a press conference in Delhi to protest against the orchestrated clampdown on NGOs like Greenpeace. The groups have also written an open letter to the prime minister asking him to intervene to uphold democracy and the right to dissent.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.