February 17, 2026 01:20 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Kaziranga festival postponed for Coronavirus scare

| @indiablooms | Mar 08, 2020, at 09:34 pm

Guwahati/IBNS: As the Assam government sounded Coronavirus alert across the state, the organizers have postponed the first ever Kaziranga Utsav which was slated to take place in the world heritage site from Mar 12 to 15.

According to reports, there is panic among the locals of Kaziranga as a 76-year-old US tourist tested positive of COVID-19 in Bhutan had visited the Kaziranga National Park on Feb 28 and took jeep safari and elephant safari rides.

The Golaghat district administration has announced that, the festival has been postponed to prevent mass gathering amidst coronavirus outbreak that has gripped many countries of the world including India and claimed over 3000 people so far.

On the other hand, the administration has conducted medical check-up of all the people who work with the US tourist during his visit in the national park.

On the other hand, Asom Prakashan Parishad has also postponed the 33rd Guwahati Book Fair for amidst coronavirus scare.

The book fair was slated to take place from Mar 14 to 25 at Chandmari field in the capital city of Assam.

On the other hand, one youth suspected to be affected by COVID-19 was admitted at Nagaon civil hospital on Saturday.

Nagaon district Health Joint Director Dr Atul Pator said that, the youth had a history of Delhi and complained with fever and other ailments and he was admitted at the government run hospital yesterday.

“Later he was released from the hospital, but he is now under observation at his home,” Dr Atul Pator said.

The health department official also said that, two persons are also being under observation in Hojai district as they came to Assam from Indonesia.

 

(By Hemanta Kumar Nath, Guwahati)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.