February 17, 2026 05:05 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Image Credit: Representative image of viruses/credit Unsplash-CDC

Mysterious pneumonia in China leaves hundreds of children sick; WHO seeks more information

| @indiablooms | Nov 23, 2023, at 10:55 pm

Beijing: China has reported a surge in cases similar to influenza mostly among children, prompting the World Health Organization to request additional information on this mysterious outbreak.

Reports indicate that Chinese hospitals are currently grappling with a high number of ailing children showing respiratory illness symptoms.

The WHO disclosed that representatives from China's National Health Commission held a press briefing on November 12, admitting a rise in respiratory diseases in the nation.

The UN health organisation attributed the surge to the relaxation of Covid-19 restrictions.

ProMed, a publicly accessible surveillance system that monitors global infectious disease outbreaks, has issued an alert regarding cases of "undiagnosed pneumonia" in children.

It is noteworthy that ProMed had previously sounded the alarm about SARs-CoV-2 in December 2019, well before the pandemic unfolded globally.

According to a report from Taiwanese FTV News, hospitals in both Beijing and Liaoning are grappling with a surge in cases of pneumonia among children.

Given the considerable distance of 800km between Beijing and Liaoning, the current situation of mysterious pneumonia is not being interpreted as a localised outbreak.

Limited information is available about the outbreak; individuals cited by FTV have noted that the affected children do not exhibit symptoms like coughing. Instead, they have high temperatures and pulmonary nodules.

Reports said that teachers have also contracted the illness, primarily because the outbreaks have been reported in schools.

As a result, certain educational institutions have been temporarily closed. The exact date when the outbreak started remains unknown at this time.

Epidemiologist Eric-Feigl-Dingh shared videos from hospitals and messages from locals in a long thread on X and analysed the situation.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.