February 19, 2026 10:28 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Nine die from gastrointestinal disease outbreak in Zimbabwe, 1,000 infected

| @indiablooms | Jun 22, 2020, at 05:02 pm

Harare/Xinhua: Nine people in Zimbabwe's second largest city Bulawayo have died form a gastrointestinal disease outbreak, while about a thousand have been infected with the water-borne disease.

The local authority said in a statement on Sunday that one of the possible causes of the outbreak was water contamination due to obsolete infrastructure.

"The 144-hour shedding strained the already aged network, further complicating the system and reducing its ability to self-cleanse due to prolonged hours of no water in the network," read a council report on water contamination.

The outbreak has been clustered in the city's three high density suburbs namely Old Luveve, New Luveve and Gwabalanda, with residents blaming the outbreak on contaminated council water.
The outbreak comes at a time when authorities are battling the COVID-19 pandemic.

Bulawayo Mayor Solomon Mgumi told media that one of their major challenges to date in handling the new outbreak was the lack of personnel as health officials were already engrossed with containing the COVID-19 pandemic.

The city has so far confirmed 60 cases of COVID-19, including 48 recoveries and 2 deaths.

Bulawayo, which lies 360 km south-west of the capital Harare, is facing one of the worst water crises in years that has seen some residents going for months without receiving running water.
An extended drought has reduced water supplies in the city's dams and reservoirs, forcing residents to fetch water from unprotected sources.

The local authority has so far decommissioned three of its six dams, leaving the city's dam levels below 30 percent. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.