February 16, 2026 11:27 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Patna zoo closed after six peacocks die from H5N1 virus

| @indiablooms | Dec 26, 2018, at 03:12 pm

Patna, Dec 26 (The Bihar Post/ IBNS): The Sanjay Gandhi Biological Park at Patna in Bihar has been closed till further order after detection of deadly H5N1 virus which has left six peacocks dead so far.

Zoo authorities said action was taken after six of the eight peacocks kept at zoo were found dead and the subsequent test confirmed strains of H5N1 virus in the dead birds.

“After their death, we sent the samples for test at Kolkata laboratory from where it was sent to Bhopal. The test has confirmed the dead birds had come in the grip of the deadly virus,” chief forest conservation officer DK Shukla told the local media on Tuesday.

He said the zoo has been closed as preventive measure.

The closure of zoo means it will remain totally deserted on New Year’s Day. Thousands of people have been visiting the zoo every year for picnic and merrymaking to celebrate the new year.

Earlier the authorities began culling of birds in four villages of Munger district after outbreak of bird flue which left many birds dead.

Authorities also banned eating of chickens, ducks and other birds in the affected villages.

Image: The Bihar Post website 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.