February 20, 2026 01:39 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Spike in Australian COVID-19 cases "deeply concerning": health authority

| @indiablooms | Jul 07, 2020, at 09:29 pm

Canberra/Xinhua:  Australia has recorded almost 200 new cases of coronavirus in a single day.

Authorities in Victoria on Tuesday announced that there had been 191 confirmed new cases of COVID-19 in the state since Monday. It marks the second consecutive day that the state has recorded its largest daily increase.

"Within Victoria, 37 new cases are linked to outbreaks and 154 are under investigation. No cases have been detected in returned travellers in hotel quarantine," said a media release from the Department of Health and Human Services in Victoria on Tuesday.

Addressing the spike in cases in Victoria, Australia's Deputy Chief Medical Officer Nick Coatsworth on Tuesday morning described the outbreaks as "deeply concerning."

"The numbers are obviously in three figures now, and there's a significant amount of community transmission. In fact, now the vast majority of cases are occurring within the Victorian community, the Melbourne community, rather than from overseas travelers," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).

"This is a real partnership between people in those towers, between Victorians and the rest of Australia and its government to get this under control. This is an issue that we all share," he said, referring to the lockdown imposed on nine public housing towers.

Daniel Andrews, premier of Victoria, said in a statement on Tuesday that based on the advice of the Chief Health Officer, Stage 3 "Stay at Home" restrictions will be reinstated across metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire from 11:59 p.m. local time from Wednesday.

"It's clear we are on the cusp of our second wave -- and we cannot let this virus cut through our communities," he said.


Businesses in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire will also return to Stage 3 restrictions, with restaurants and cafes returning to takeaway and delivery services only. Beauty and personal services, entertainment and cultural venues and community sport will be closed. 

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.