May 24, 2026 12:19 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Honoured to visit the Missionaries of Charity today, says Rubio after Kolkata visit, arrives in Delhi | Marco Rubio's India visit begins in Kolkata: Trade, defence and Quad talks take centre stage | Third fuel price hike in India in 10 days: Here’s what you’ll pay now | Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60%
Turkey wildfire
Representative image of wildfire/credit: Pixabay

Turkey battles wildfires for 6 days in coastal resorts

| @indiablooms | Aug 03, 2021, at 01:36 am

Istanbul/UNI/Xinhua: Turkey has been battling wildfires that erupted in the southern and southwestern coastal resort towns and have lasted six days, officials announced Monday.

"We have controlled 125 out of the 132 fires in the last five days, and are still fighting the remaining seven ones," Agriculture and Forestry Minister Bekir Pakdemirli told reporters in Mugla Province.

Firefighters have hard times in Marmaris and Bodrum, the resort towns of Mugla Province, because of a low humidity rate which dropped to 10 percent in the morning hours.

"Under normal conditions, the humidity should not be below 30 percent," Pakdemirli explained.

He pointed out that the fire in Manavgat, a resort town of Antalya province, continues and has the potential to cause new evacuations.

According to Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu, approximately 10,000 citizens have been evacuated from their houses in Mugla.

Soylu said eight neighborhoods were completely deserted while five others partially evacuated as blazes hit the residential areas.

The fires have claimed eight lives so far in Turkey.

Meanwhile, the European Union announced that the bloc would send three firefighting planes from Croatia and Spain after Turkey activated the EU Civil Protection Mechanism on Sunday.

"The EU stands in full solidarity with Turkey at this very difficult time," the EU said in a statement.

Amid the ongoing fires, Turkey has experienced "unplanned" wide-scale power outages on Monday in at least 14 big cities including Istanbul, the capital Ankara, and Izmir.

The Energy and Natural Resources Ministry said in a written statement that partial interruptions occurred because of high demand for electricity prompted by high temperatures.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.