February 16, 2026 11:25 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Cloudburst
Flash flood in Uttarkashi. Photo: Uttarkashi Police- Uttarakhand/X

Uttarkashi cloudburst: Death toll rises to 5, rescue operation still underway

| @indiablooms | Aug 06, 2025, at 12:52 pm

Dehradun/IBNS: The death toll in the flash floods caused by cloudburst in Uttarakhand's Uttarkashi rose to five while several others are still missing, media reports said.

The Uttarakhand Police said 135 people have been evacuated so far.

The rescue operations are still underway in Dharali Sukhi Top.

Uttarakhand Police said, "Relief and rescue operations are rapidly underway in Harshil, Dharali. Rescue teams have successfully evacuated 135 people from the disaster site to a safe location. Approximately 100 people from near Dharali (towards Gangotri) and 35 people from below the Harshil Army Gate have been safely rescued."

"The District Magistrate of Uttarkashi, Mr. Prashant Arya, and the Superintendent of Police of Uttarkashi, Mrs. Sarita Dobhal, are continuously monitoring and inspecting the disaster-affected areas. Efforts are ongoing to send additional workforce to the disaster-stricken area."

Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami is monitoring the rescue operations that are underway.

Dhami wrote on X, "In Uttarkashi, instructions were given to officials to remain on 24-hour alert mode after inspecting the rising water levels of the river and the surrounding areas.

"In Dharali, Uttarkashi, all government agencies, departments, and the army are engaged in relief and rescue operations with mutual coordination. Last night, more than 130 people were rescued. Closed routes are being reopened, and all possible assistance is being provided to the affected."

According to reports, the raging waters swept away several houses.

Several videos have now gone viral showing a strong stream of water moving down from the hills and sweeping away several houses in a village.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.