May 23, 2026 09:30 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Honoured to visit the Missionaries of Charity today, says Rubio after Kolkata visit, arrives in Delhi | Marco Rubio's India visit begins in Kolkata: Trade, defence and Quad talks take centre stage | Third fuel price hike in India in 10 days: Here’s what you’ll pay now | Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60%
MGNREGA
Centre faces jolt in Supreme Court over MGNREGA scheme suspension. Photo: Supreme Court of India. Photo: sci.gov.in

Blow to Centre, relief for Bengal: Supreme Court upholds Calcutta HC order on MGNREGA

| @indiablooms | Oct 28, 2025, at 10:40 am

New Delhi/IBNS: The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed the Centre's plea challenging the Calcutta High Court order directing the resumption of MGNREGA scheme in West Bengal, where it was put on hold over the allegations of financial irregularities, media reports said.

"We are not convinced that the impugned order requires any interference. The SLP is dismissed," said a bench comprising Justices Vikram Nath and Sandeep Mehta as quoted by Live Law.

The scheme was put on hold from 2022.

In June this year, a division bench comprising Chief Justice TS Sivagnanam and Justice Chaitali Chatterjee (Das) had ordered the Centre to resume the scheme on August 1.

In the same judgement, the court had allowed the central government to impose conditions and restrictions in the state in view of the corruption charges connected to the disbursement of funds under the scheme.

Since last year, the Mamata Banerjee government in the state started clearing the dues from the state fund.

After the Supreme Court's rejection of the Centre's plea, Mamata's Trinamool Congress (TMC) has trained its guns at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) that runs the union government.

TMC national general secretary Abhishek Banerjee posted on X, "... Today’s verdict is a democratic slap on the face of those who believed Bengal could be bullied, coerced, or silenced. BJP’s arrogance has met its reckoning.

"They seek power without accountability. They take from Bengal, yet refuse to return her dues. But now, they've been defeated in PEOPLE'S VOTE, and in the SUPREME COURT..."

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.