February 22, 2026 07:31 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
Photo courtesy: IBNS File

Centre plans new security matrix for J&K, more surprise crackdowns on terrorists now

| @indiablooms | Aug 03, 2024, at 04:52 am

New Delhi/IBNS: The Centre is rolling out a new security plan for Jammu and Kashmir to counter the targetting of civilians and military personnel and camps by terrorists in recent weeks and months, including an attack on an Army camp in Rajouri last week, in which one soldier was injured.

In the past two months, attacks and ambushes have become regular events, particularly in the southern reaches of Pir Panjal, an area in which the spectre of terrorism had lain dormant for a long time.

Among recent ones, there was an operation in which two Army officers were killed and two Pakistani terrorists, one of them a Lashkar-e-Taiba sniper and explosives expert, were eliminated.

Overall, casualties among security forces have doubled this year compared to the past three.

According to NDTV, 17 security personnel, and as many civilians, have been killed this year.

A senior official told NDTV the increased number of military casualties is the forces' "primary concern" and this is why deployment in the area is being rationalised with new combinations.

A senior Home Ministry official said the government "cannot lose sight of the Kashmir Valley but, at the same time, we need to secure the Jammu region also".

This is why, the official explained, forces were being mobilised for deployment.

The government has begun a project to fence borders but, so far in Jammu, only 70 of 180 km have been fenced. The challenge includes the fact it is difficult to patrol areas marked as riverine with elephant grass in the rainy season.

Now, two battalions of BSF, or Border Security Force, troops comprising of 2,000 personnel have been airlifted from Odisha. They will be in Samba sector and plug gaps on the Jammu-Punjab border.

Incidentally, this comes after RR Swain, the Director-General of J&K Police, identified Punjab as one of the main routes of infiltration into Jammu and Kashmir.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.