February 20, 2026 11:26 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Kerala man dies while fighting for Russia. Photo courtesy: File image/UNI

India 'strongly takes' up matter with Moscow after Kerala man dies fighting for Russia

| @indiablooms | Jan 14, 2025, at 09:28 pm

New Delhi/IBNS: A day after it came to the fore that a man from Kerala was killed while fighting in the Russian army during the country's war against Ukraine, the Ministry of External Affairs on Tuesday said that it has strongly taken up the issue with Moscow.

The ministry said India has also reiterated its demand for the early discharge of other citizens from the country who have been inducted into the Russian army.

According to the family of Binil Babu, 32, from Thrissur in Kerala, had said that he and a relative had been injured in a drone attack.

The family was later informed that Babu had died and the relative was undergoing treatment after suffering severe injuries.

In a statement on Tuesday, Ministry of External Affairs Spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said, "We have learnt of the unfortunate death of an Indian national from Kerala who had apparently been recruited to serve in the Russian Army. Another Indian national from Kerala, who was similarly recruited, has been injured and is receiving treatment in a hospital in Moscow."

Jaiswal said India's embassy in Moscow is in touch with both families and is helping them in every possible way.

The ministry is working with the Russian authorities for early transportation of the Babu's body to India and has also sought "early discharge and repatriation to India" of the injured person.

"The matter has been strongly taken up with the Russian authorities in Moscow as well as with the Russian Embassy in New Delhi today. We have also reiterated our demand for the early discharge of the remaining Indian nationals," Jaiswal said.

In October last year, Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri had said 85 Indians had been discharged from the Russian military and efforts were on to secure the release of 20 more.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.