February 19, 2026 01:00 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Instagram user Sharmishta Panoli. Photo: Vani_Mehrotra/X

Influencer Sharmishta Panoli walks out of jail after Calcutta High Court relief

| @indiablooms | Jun 06, 2025, at 11:37 pm

A day after getting bail from the Calcutta High Court, 22-year-old influencer and law student Sharmishta Panoli, who was arrested in connection with the Operation Sindoor post case, walked out of jail on Friday.

As part of the bail conditions, she has been prohibited from leaving the country without prior permission from the Chief Judicial Magistrate.

She has also been instructed to deposit a sum of Rs 10,000.

The High Court has directed the Kolkata Police to act on a petition filed by Panoli regarding threats to her safety, which she had raised before her arrest.

Panoli, a fourth-year law student from Pune, was arrested on May 30 in Gurugram after a now-deleted video allegedly hurting religious sentiments triggered widespread outrage.

A Kolkata court had earlier remanded her to judicial custody till June 13.

Her father, Prithviraj, previously refuted the Kolkata Police’s claim that she was absconding.

Speaking to India Today TV, he said both he and Sharmishta had gone to Lalbazar, the Kolkata Police headquarters, and also visited the Anandapur police station.

Despite this, the police labelled her an absconder and secured an arrest warrant.

He alleged that the Kolkata Police shared false and misleading information and presented two “visitor slips” bearing their names and photographs, reportedly issued at Lalbazar on May 15, to support his claim.

Although Panoli had deleted the video and issued an unconditional apology, multiple FIRs were filed against her.

The High Court later ordered that all the FIRs be merged into a single case, to be investigated in Kolkata.

The next hearing took place on Thursday, during which she was granted interim bail.

Notably, on Tuesday, the Calcutta High Court had earlier declined her bail request, remarking that freedom of speech is not absolute and does not entitle anyone to hurt religious sentiments.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.