February 21, 2026 07:03 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
RG Kar
Image by Avishek Mitra/IBNS

Quit agitation, return to festival: Mamata Banerjee to RG Kar protesters after SC asks junior doctors to resume work

| @indiablooms | Sep 09, 2024, at 08:02 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: Soon after the Supreme Court asked the junior doctors, who are on ceasework protesting against the RG Kar rape-murder, to resume work, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday gave a call to focus on festivity leaving behind one-month long massive agitation which was driven by masses.

Speaking at the state headquarters Nabanna, Mamata said, "Protests have taken place for a month. Now I would request all protesters to get back to Durga Puja and festivities."

"I would appeal to the CBI to deliver justice soon," she added.

The Chief Minister claimed half of the demands of the junior doctors have been accepted.

Even if junior doctors have any more demand, the Chief Minister said she is ready for discussion.

The Supreme Court has directed junior doctors, who are on ceasework protesting against the rape and murder of a 31-year-old trainee doctor at Kolkata's RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, to resume their services.

The advocate representing the junior doctors claimed the protesters are not confident to resume work over the threats they are still receiving.

Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud said no action will be taken against the junior doctors if they resume work by 5 pm on Tuesday.

The CJI said the court will not be able to restrain the state government from taking action if the junior doctors continue with their protests.

The CJI said, "We can record that if doctors resume to work, no adverse action but if they do not resume work as doctors then we cannot restrain state govt from taking actions"

"In order to create a sense of confidence we state that in the event that doctors come to work by 5 PM tomorrow, not adverse actions.....if there is continuous abstention from work despite the facilities given there will be likelihood of action in future.

"We know what is happening on the ground, but doctors must now come back to work, they cannot say senior doctors are working so we will not work, we have put everyone on notice."

The State's counsel, advocate Kapil Sibal claimed in the hearing that 23 patients have died due to the junior doctors' ceasework.

In the previous hearing held last month, the CJI had urged the junior doctors to resume work restraining the government from any action against them.

In the third hearing, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the court that the CCTV footage which has been handed over was of only 27 minutes.

Advocate Kapil Sibal, who is representing the State, said the footage was handed over to the CBI in its entirety.

The Solicitor General said the victim's body was found in semi-naked state.

The victim's body had injury marks, said the Solicitor General.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.