February 21, 2026 06:55 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
RG Kar
Photo courtesy: Screenshot grab from X video

RG Kar: Junior doctors march to Swasthya Bhavan with demands after Supreme Court's deadline to resume work

| @indiablooms | Sep 10, 2024, at 08:23 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: West Bengal junior doctors, who are on ceasework demanding justice for the rape and murder of a trainee doctor at Kolkata's RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, are marching to the administrative building of state's Health and Family Welfare, Swasthya Bhavan in Salt Lake area.

The march is held a day after the Supreme Court asked the junior doctors to resume work by 5 pm, post which the state government will not be restrained from taking action against the protesters.

In a counter, the junior doctors demanded the resignations of a few state health officials, Commissioner of Police Vineet Goyal and justice for the victim.

The junior doctors said they will resume work only when the demands are met.

In the Supreme Court hearing on Monday, the advocate representing the junior doctors claimed the protesters are not confident to resume work over the threats they are still receiving.

Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud said no action will be taken against the junior doctors if they resume work by 5 pm on Tuesday.

The CJI said the court will not be able to restrain the state government from taking action if the junior doctors continue with their protests.

"We can record that if doctors resume to work, no adverse action but if they do not resume work as doctors then we cannot restrain state govt from taking actions," he said.

The state's counsel, advocate Kapil Sibal claimed in the hearing that 23 patients have died due to the junior doctors' ceasework.

In the previous hearing held last month, the CJI had urged the junior doctors to resume work restraining the government from any action against them.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.