February 21, 2026 06:57 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
RG Kar
Image by Avishek Mitra/IBNS

RG Kar: Junior doctors' overnight sit-in protests outside Swasthya Bhavan in Kolkata continues

| @indiablooms | Sep 11, 2024, at 04:46 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: West Bengal junior doctors, who have been on ceasework for more than a month demanding justice for RG Kar rape-murder victim, continued their protests overnight outside state Health and Family Welfare office Swasthya Bhavan in Kolkata's Salt Lake area.

The junior doctors began their sit-in protest on Tuesday after they were denied an entry into Swasthya Bhavan to hand over deputation demanding resignation of some of the top officials.

On Tuesday evening, the health department shot an email to the junior doctors inviting them to participate in a meeting with a senior government representative.

The doctors rejected the proposal claiming it was "insulting" to them as the email came from the principal secretary of the state Health and Family Welfare department, who is one of those people whose resignation is among the demands by the protesters.

"The email has come from the health secretary and this is insulting to us," the protesting doctors said.

In the meantime, state junior health minister Chandrima Bhattacharya said Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee waited till 7:30 pm at the state secretariat Nabanna for a response from the students. Upon receiving no response, the Chief Minister, who Bhattacharya claimed was eager to schedule a meeting, left her office for home.

The junior doctors, who raised slogans throughout the night, on Tuesday refused to resume work by 5 pm, the deadline which was set by the Supreme Court.

The top court had said the government will be free to take action against the protesters post 5 pm on Tuesday.

Some of the senior doctors have claimed they are backing the juniors and they would respond appropriately if the government takes any action against the protesters.

The junior doctors are demanding the resignations of a few state health officials, Commissioner of Police Vineet Goyal, and justice for the victim.

The state's counsel, advocate Kapil Sibal had claimed during Monday's hearing that 23 patients have died due to the junior doctors' ceasework.

In the previous hearing held last month, the CJI had urged the junior doctors to resume work restraining the government from any action against them.

(Images by Avishek Mitra/IBNS) 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.