February 22, 2026 02:10 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
RG Kar
Photo courtesy: IBNS File

RG Kar: Junior doctors to continue cease work despite Supreme Court's appeal to resume services

| @indiablooms | Aug 20, 2024, at 08:10 pm

Kolkata/IBNS: The junior doctors of RG Kar Medical College and Hospital will continue with their ceasework as a protest against the rape and murder of 31-year-old post-graduate medical student despite the Supreme Court's appeal to resume services.

After the Supreme Court's appeal, a junior doctor said, "As per our intelligence, more than one person is involved. This means the other accused is or are still roaming around us. We can't resume work if the other accused are not arrested."

"We are still not happy. We will continue our ceasework till our demands are met," one of the protesters said.

The junior doctors, particularly in West Bengal, went on a strike demanding justice for the 31-year-old, who is now referred to as Tillotama, cripping the medical system of the state.

Not just the students, people from diverse fraternities are conducting rallies in Kolkata and neighbouring districts on a regular basis with one-point demand, justice for the victim.

The Supreme Court, which on Tuesday blasted the West Bengal government over the rape-murder, ordered the posting of CISF personnel at RG Kar Medical College and Hospital.

The posting has been ordered in the backdrop of the vandalism by a huge number of miscreants at RG Kar Medical College and Hospital in the intervening night of August 14 and August 15 when lakhs of women and men took to streets across the state for night vigil demanding justice.

The Supreme Court has questioned the government counsel why the police didn't have the intel input of a march by 7,000 people, the figure revealed by the Kolkata Police days ago.

Kolkata Commissioner of Police Vineet Goyal last week claimed 7,000 people barged into the RG Kar Hospital and his team had no intelligence input of it.

Though over 30 people have been arrested in connection with the vandalism, the Kolkata Police has been accused of being a mute spectator while the rampage went on for about an hour.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.