February 21, 2026 05:43 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
IPL 2020

BCCI and Chinese phonemaker Vivo suspend partnership for IPL 2020

| @indiablooms | Aug 06, 2020, at 09:33 pm

Mumbai/IBNS: The Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) and Chinese phonemaker Vivo, which was the main sponsor for the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020, have suspended their partnership, media reports said.

"The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and vivo Mobile India Pvt Ltd have decided to suspend their partnership for Indian Premier League in 2020," BCCI said in an online statement on Thursday, according to media.

Amid the clamour to boycott Chinese phone-maker Vivo as the main sponsor for IPL 2020, BJP's ideological parent Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and Congress had also asked the Indian cricket board to reconsider its sponsorship deals for the cash-rich tournament.

The Swadeshi Jagran Manch (SJM) had said the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)'s decision to go ahead with Vivo as the main sponsor of IPL contradicts the "current mood of the nation".

"Whole world is boycotting China, IPL is sheltering them. They should understand that nothing is above nation," SJM co-convener Ashwani Mahajan had said.

The controversy had erupted after the BCCI decided to hold the 13th edition of the IPL, a mega T20 tournament, in UAE between September and November this year.

Senior Congress leader and spokesperson of the party Randeep Singh Surjewala had earlier tweeted, "Wither #AatmaNirbharBharatAbhiyan . Welcome back Cricket-China-profiteering and double standards."

The call for boycotting Vivo gained pace weeks after the Narendra Modi government boycotted 49 Chinese apps including the very popular TikTok, in the wake of the deadly clash between Indian and Chinese military personnel at Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh in mid-June.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.