February 22, 2026 12:56 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit

BCCI to contribute Rs. 51 crore to PM Cares Fund to combat COVID-19

| @indiablooms | Mar 29, 2020, at 01:22 am

Mumbai/IBNS: The Indian cricket board along with its affiliated state associations on Saturday announced that it will contribute Rs. 51 crore to the Prime Minister's Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund or PM Cares Fund to fight against the deadly Novel Coronavirus.

"The outbreak of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) is first and foremost a public health emergency and the BCCI has a firm resolve that the nation gets all possible help to cope with the testing times," the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said in a statement.

The statement further read, "The BCCI will contribute to Hon’ble Prime Minister’s initiative which is a dedicated national fund (PM-CARES Fund) with the primary objective of dealing with emergency or distress situations."

Modi on Saturday took to Twitter to appeal to people to contribute to the fund to fight against the virus which has kept the country as well as the globe on edge.

The Prime Minister tweeted, "People across the country have expressed their willingness to contribute to fight against COVID-19. In recognition of this sentiment, Prime Minister's Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund has been created. This will prove to be very effective in building a healthy India."

BCCI secretary Jay Shah, the second most important person in BCCI after board president Sourav Ganguly, said in a tweet, "India stands united with our PM @narendramodi in these challenging times. @BCCI and it's affiliated State Associations have contributed ₹51 Crores to PM-CARES Fund to help #IndiaFightsCorona. We must all pledge to contribute for this great initiative."

Indian cricketer Suresh Raina has pledged to contribute Rs. 31 crore to PM Cares Fund and Rs. 21 crore to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister's Disaster Relief Fund.

"It’s time we all do our bit to help defeat #COVID19. I’m pledging ₹52 lakh for the fight against #Corona (₹31 lakh to the  PM-CARES Fund & ₹21 lakh to the UP CM’s Disaster Relief Fund). Please do your bit too. Jai Hind!" Raina tweeted. 

As India is presently under a 21-day lockdown to stop the spread of the Novel Coronavirus, Ganguly, a former Indian skipper, had earlier in association with a company pledged to donate rice worth Rs. 50 lakh for the underprivileged.

Former Indian skipper and cricket legend, Sachin Tendulkar, earlier donated Rs. 50 lakh to combat COVID-19 which has so far infected 959 people including 23 fatalities.

Tendulkar will contribute Rs. 25 lakh each to the Relief Funds of the Prime Minister and the Chief Minister of his state Maharashtra.

India's World Cup-winning captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has contributed Rs. 1 lakh through a Pune-based Non Governmental Organisation (NGO).

The deadly virus has infected 640,000 people including more than 29,000 deaths across the globe.

(Image Credit: BCCI Facebook)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.