February 22, 2026 02:24 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
Image credit: Free wallpaper

Du Plessis, Dussen back in Proteas squad for ODIs against India

| @indiablooms | Mar 02, 2020, at 08:00 pm

Johannesburg/UNI: Batsmen Faf du Plessis and Rassie van der Dussen on Monday were recalled to the South Africa ODI squad for the three-match series in India, beginning on March 12.

Left-arm spinner George Linde was also named for the first time in the 15-man squad, in place of first-choice spinner Tabraiz Shamsi.Shamsi was not available for selection, as he and his wife Khadija are anticipating the birth of their first child. Linde (28), has so far played just a solitary Test for South Africa, which came in India last year.

Newcomer Kyle Verreynne, who impressed the selectors with his score of 48 off 64 on debut against Australia in Paarl on Saturday, was also retained in the squad. Keshav Maharaj and Lutho Sipamla were also among the retained players.

Du Plessis hasn't played for South Africa in the 50-over format since the World Cup and was rested for the home series against England and Australia.
During this period, he also quit captaincy, handing over the reigns to Quinton de Kock. Van der Dussen, who cemented his spot in the middle order last year, featured in the ODIs against England, but has been rested for the ongoing series against Australia.

CSA independent selector Linda Zondi expressed the panel's pleasure at the chosen team, as it continues the team's rebuild after the loss of several senior players over the last 18 months.

"It is exciting to see the amount of competition for spots that we have within the team and in the franchises, it's a good headache for us as selectors to have," Zondi said.

"We are satisfied with our picks for what will certainly be a challenging tour of India. We saw some promising performances last year from the T20 squad that travelled there and wanted to give a player like George Linde another crack at the conditions, which seem to really suit him," he added.
Squad:

Quinton de Kock (C & WK), Temba Bavuma, Rassie van der Dussen, Faf du Plessis, Kyle Verreynne, Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Jon-Jon Smuts, Andile Phehlukwayo, Lundi Ngidi, Lutho Sipamla, Beuran Hendricks, Anrich Nortje, George Linde, Keshav Maharaj.

(Image credit: Free wallpaper)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.