February 21, 2026 05:42 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Image: Wikimedia Commons

Sao Paulo mayor accepts decision to scrap Brazilian GP

| @indiablooms | Jul 25, 2020, at 05:36 pm

Sao Paulo/Xinhua: Sao Paulo mayor Bruno Covas has said that he accepted a decision to cancel this year's Brazilian Formula One Grand Prix because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The comments came just hours after F1 officials removed the Brazilian, Mexican and US Grands Prix from the 2020 race calendar as infection rates continue to soar in the countries.

"We respect the decision despite forecasts that show we will be in a much better position in November," Covas told a news conference in Brazil's most populous city on Friday.

"Over the past few weeks we have sent all the data to the organizers showing that the situation in Sao Paulo is very different to the rest of Brazil."

The US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, had been slated for October 23, a week before Mexico City's scheduled race. The Brazilian Grand Prix had been earmarked for November 13 at Sao Paulo's Interlagos track.

Instead, the Grands Prix will be held at Germany's Nurburgring, Italy's Imola and Portugal's Portimao circuits.

Sao Paulo's contract to host F1 expires this year but Covas said he is confident the deal would be extended.

"We are continuing our negotiations with Formula One to renew the deal," he said.

Located on the southern outskirts of Sao Paulo, Interlagos staged the country's first F1 Grand Prix in 1973.

It lost its host status to Rio de Janeiro's Jacarepagua circuit in 1981, before reclaiming the event in 1990.

Last year, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said the Brazilian Grand Prix could return to Rio in 2021. 

 

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.