February 16, 2026 11:29 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
BCB requested for venue change of the T20 World Cup matches scheduled in India, citing "unresolved security issues". Photo: Facebook/@bcbtigercricket

T20 World Cup 2026: ICC rejects Bangladesh's request to shift matches out of India

| @indiablooms | Jan 13, 2026, at 09:20 pm

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and the International Cricket Council (ICC) held discussions on Tuesday via video conference over Bangladesh’s participation in the T20 World Cup 2026, with the BCB reiterating its request to move its group-stage matches from India to Sri Lanka, citing security concerns.

With less than a month remaining before the tournament, uncertainty persists over Bangladesh’s stance.

The BCB delegation included president Md Aminul Islam, vice-presidents Md Shakawath Hossain and Faruque Ahmed, Cricket Operations Committee chairman Nazmul Abedeen, and chief executive officer Nizam Uddin Chowdhury.

During the meeting, officials reaffirmed that security considerations remained their primary concern.

The ICC, however, maintained that the tournament schedule had already been finalised and asked the BCB to reconsider its position.

In an official statement issued after the meeting, the BCB said discussions with the ICC were ongoing but confirmed that no change had been made to its request.

The standoff comes amid broader political and diplomatic strain between India and Bangladesh, which is now reportedly affecting Bangladesh cricket off the field as well.

According to media reports, Bangladesh is facing a significant financial setback, with several top players at risk of losing sponsorship deals.

Indian cricket equipment manufacturer SG has reportedly put contract renewals with leading Bangladesh players on hold, including current captain Litton Das.

Another Indian sporting goods brand, Sareen Sports Industries (SS), has also reportedly decided to stop sourcing products manufactured in Bangladesh.

The ICC is expected to maintain its position on the tournament itinerary, even as discussions with the BCB continue.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.