February 17, 2026 09:31 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Two cops sustained critical injuries in the knife attack by Algeria-born assailant. (Image credit: Video grab)

1 killed, 2 cops injured in France knife attack; Macron calls it ‘Islamist terror act’

| @indiablooms | Feb 23, 2025, at 12:05 am

Strasbourg: One person was killed, and two police officers sustained serious injuries in a knife attack in eastern France on Saturday during a demonstration, AFP reported, citing the local prosecutor.

The incident, which took place in Mulhouse, also left three other officers with minor injuries.

The attacker, a 37-year-old individual on France’s terror prevention watchlist, was identified as the suspect, prosecutor Nicolas Heitz told AFP.

French President Emmanuel Macron stated, "No doubt it is an Islamist terror act."

The suspect was listed under the FSPRT, a database launched in 2015 after the Charlie Hebdo and Jewish supermarket attacks to monitor individuals at risk of "terrorist" radicalisation.

According to Heitz, one of the seriously injured officers suffered a wound to the carotid artery, while the other sustained an injury to the thorax.

French Interior Minister Bruno Retailleau was set to visit the site later in the day.

The attack occurred shortly before 4:00 pm local time (1500 GMT) during a demonstration in support of Congo.

Authorities secured the area following the assault.

Union sources told AFP that the suspect, born in Algeria, had been under judicial supervision, placed under house arrest, and faced an expulsion order from France.

Mulhouse Mayor Michèle Lutz described the attack as a moment of "horror" for the city, adding on Facebook that while it was being investigated as a terrorist act, "this must obviously still be confirmed by the judiciary."

France’s national anti-terror prosecutor’s office (PNAT) has taken over the investigation.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.