February 22, 2026 12:15 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
Kunduz Blast
UNAMA/Shamsuddin Hamedi

Afghanistan: Islamic State Khorasan Province claims responsibility for blast in Kunduz mosque

| @indiablooms | Oct 09, 2021, at 02:26 pm

Kunduz: Islamic State Khorasan Province (IKSP), the Afghan regional affiliate of the Islamic State group, has claimed responsibility for the blast which hit a mosque in Afghanistan's Kunduz region on Friday.

The blast left at least 100 people dead.

ISIS in a statement that was published in Arabic said that the suicide bomber was named Muhammad and was and Uyghur Muslim, reports Khaama Press.

The ISIS statement claimed to have killed and wounded three hundred Hazara-Shite in the explosion.

The blast had targeted the Shite Muslim mosque when a large number of worshipers had gathered to pray.

The Taliban have condemned the incident and pledged to find and punish the culprits, reports Khaama Press.

The terror group is an opposition to the Taliban.

The Taliban captured power in Afghanistan on Aug 15 after entering Kabul and the presidential palace.

The Taliban started capturing regions across the country at a swift pace as foreign forces started leaving Afghanistan.

UN chief condemns:

The UN chief condemned the “horrific” attack “in the strongest terms”, noting that it represents the third assault on a religious institution, in less than a week.

“Attacks that deliberately target civilians exercising the right to freely practice their religion are violations of fundamental human rights and international humanitarian law”, said Secretary-General António Guterres, in a statement released by his Spokesperson. “The perpetrators must be brought to justice.”

The Secretary-General expresses his condolences to the bereaved families and wishes those injured a speedy recovery.

Recent Attacks by IKSP:

IKSP has previously targeted the Shia Muslim community in Sunni-majority Afghanistan, and is an extremist Islamist faction opposed to the de facto rulers of the country, the Taliban, who seized power in mid-August.

Militants from IKSP, carried out the deadly attack at Kabul airport last month, which killed 13 United States military personnel, and 169 Afghan civilians.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.