February 22, 2026 03:29 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Rahul Gandhi slams Modi as ‘compromised’, says PM can’t renegotiate India-US trade deal | Terror alert in Delhi: LeT may target Chandni Chowk with IED, say reports | US Supreme Court shocks Donald Trump on tariffs — but India may still end up paying more | PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit
African Countries
Image credit: Unsplash

African countries are cancelling Chinese-backed projects

| @indiablooms | Sep 22, 2021, at 06:42 am

Beijing: African nations have started cornering China on investment-related matters with some of them cancelling contracts with Chinese companies as their “shoddy” work has become a source of tension for the ruling dispensations in several nations across the continent, media reports said.

After Ghana cancelled the contract of Beijing Everyway Traffic and Lighting Tech Co Ltd, which was to develop an intelligent traffic management system for the country, President of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) Felix Tshisekedi has called for a review of mining contracts previously signed with China in 2008, The Singapore Post reported.

Unhappy with China’s exploitative tendency, the DRC president  said, “Those with whom his country signed contracts are getting richer while DRC people remain poor.”

In Congo, lack of transparency remained another issue of concern especially with the Chinese-related projects.

Given this sordid picture, local residents in Kinshasa, Kisangani and other cities, unhappy with the Chinese companies’ approach towards road and other infra projects, asked President Tshisekedi to review the deal signed during then President Joseph Kabila’s regime, reported the news portal.

Earlier Ghana cancelled the contract for China-led Everyway Traffic and Lighting Tech Co Ltd in February. The $100 million project was intended to help improve security in the country. But the Ghana government found Everyway Traffic and Lightening Tech’s work not up to any satisfaction and cancelled the project outright, reports The Singapore Post.

China has been receiving international flak in recent times over its  imperious debt-trap diplomacy.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.