May 21, 2026 07:25 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial

Any second thought on Joshua Boyle meet? Canada PM Trudeau refuses to answer

| @indiablooms | Jan 10, 2018, at 09:25 pm

Ottawa, Jan 10 (IBNS): Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has not clarified whether he has any intention to meet for the second time former Taliban captive Joshua Boyle, who is now facing 15 criminal charges, media reports said.

Trudeau met Boyle, who is now in jail, in December. It was after the PM's meet that Boyle was framed in multiple charges.

In an interview with Halifax radio station 95.7 FM, Trudeau was asked whether he has regret over the meeting.

Trudeau's reply was quoted by Global News: " We’ve been very, very active on consular cases. We’ve had a number of successes in bringing people who were stuck in difficult situations overseas home, bringing them to safety, and the engagement which my office has directly with those cases has led me to meet with a number of people who have been released."

"So these kinds of things are something that I do. I always try to defer to meeting with more people rather than fewer people, and particularly people for whom we’ve been working hard over the past years. I think that’s something that’s important to do" the PM added.

Boyle is facing 15 charges including assault, sexual assault, unlawful confinement, uttering death threats, causing someone to take antidepressant and misleading police.

His next hearing will be on Jan 15 where the former Taliban captive might get a bail.

All of his offences have occurred in a period of 45 days, starting from Oct 14 to Dec 30, 2017.

Boyle, his wife Caitlan Coleman and their three children were rescued from the hands of Taliban affiliated Haqqani Network from Pakistan by the country's forces last year.

They returned to Canada on Oct 13, 2017.

Joshua Boyle (34) and Caitlan Coleman (31), who were kidnapped by the Taliban linked Haqqani network in 2012 as the couple crossed into Afghanistan, reached Canada in October last year.

Coleman was pregnant at the time when the couple was kidnapped.

Interacting with the media, after reaching Canada, Boyle said: "The stupidity and evil of the Haqqani network's kidnapping of a pilgrim and his heavily pregnant wife engaged in helping ordinary villagers in Taliban-controlled regions of Afghanistan was eclipsed only by the stupidity and evil of authorising the murder of my infant daughter."

(Reporting by Suman Das)

Image: twitter.com/BoylesVsWorld

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.