February 17, 2026 10:24 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers

Beijing calls on US to abolish 'revolting' decision to close Chinese consulate in Houston

| @indiablooms | Jul 22, 2020, at 10:25 pm

Beijing/Sputnik: China is calling on the United States to immediately abolish the decision to close China's Consulate General in the city of Houston, the Foreign Ministry's spokesperson, Wang Wenbin, said on Wednesday.

Earlier in the day, Global Times editor-in-chief wrote on Twitter that the US government orders closing the diplomatic mission within 72 hours.

"This is a US unilateral political provocation, it is a grave violation of the international law, the key regulations related to international relations and the bilateral consular agreement between China and the US. China firmly condemns this revolting and unjustified move, undermining the Chinese-US relations ... China calls on the US to immediately abolish this erroneous decision," Wang said at a briefing, If the decision is not canceled, China will certainly retaliate, the diplomat warned.

Wang also refuted Washington's claims about the lack of reciprocity in the US-Chinese relations.

"The US claims that there is no reciprocity in the US-Chinese relations, but this is just an old and meaningless excuse of the United States. In fact, if we talk about the number of diplomatic missions and the number of diplomatic staff in each other's country, the US is significantly ahead of China," Wang stressed.

When asked to comment on media reports that documents were being burned in the courtyard of the Chinese consulate, Wang stated that the "the consulate general functions in a normal mode." 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.