February 19, 2026 11:27 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

Burundi leader focuses on recent polls, upcoming dialogue in address to UN Assembly

| | Oct 02, 2015, at 04:15 pm
New York, Oct 2 (IBNS): The Vice-President of Burundi, Joseph Butore, addressed the General Assembly on Thursday, focusing on the elections that took place in his country this year and the upcoming dialogue there.

He said that Burundi had “just ended an electoral process as laid out in the 2005 constitution,” emphasizing that the constitution had “not been modified in any way.”

Butore added that the “process was a great success, despite the violent protests” that, he said, transformed into an insurrection in some parts of Burundi’s capital.

He stressed that parties who, “having decided to turn away from the ballot box,” want to “spread trouble to justify the impossibility of organizing the electoral process.”

"After the elections, the Government of Burundi has just opened another political phase, that of dialogue, a dialogue that aims to be inclusive, sincere and open to all topics," he added.

On recent events, he recalled there had been a coup, which failed, and on 24 August a new Government was formed. This government, he said, has now opened a new political phase of dialogue that is inclusive, sincere, and open to all.

He also noted the presence of the UN Electoral Observation Mission in Burundi (MENUB) during the process.

As for the issue of the freedom of the media in Burundi, he said that of 20 private media organizations, three radio and one television company were facing investigations because of their alleged role in the coup, while other media continues to operate.

Butore also said that those arrested during the coup will benefit from “equitable justice and will have the right to their own defence.”

On Friday, the UN Secretary-General met with Butore and and expressed concern over the situation in Burundi. Ban called for an inclusive political dialogue to resume without further delay.

UN Photo/Loey Felipe

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.