February 19, 2026 06:43 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
Guangzhou COVID-19
File image by Zhizhou Deng on Flickr via Wikimedia Commons

China: Guangzhou witnessing surge in COVID-19 cases

| @indiablooms | Nov 10, 2022, at 06:18 pm

Guangzhou: China's Guangzhou is witnessing a tough situation as the city is witnessing a surge in COVID-19 cases with nearly 2,000 local infections reported on Monday, media reports said on Wednesday.

Guangdong province reported a total of 185 confirmed local cases and 1,882 asymptomatic cases on Monday, with 122 confirmed cases and 1,813 asymptomatic cases in the provincial capital Guangzhou, reports The South China Morning Post.

It was the second day in a row when the city reported more than 1,000 daily cases.

The city has a population of roughly 18 million.

Guangzhou has imposed restrictions on parts of the city with severe outbreaks and moved more than 30,000 people into centralised quarantine.

Daily mass testing is also required for those who have visited high-risk areas, reports South China Morning Post.

Over the weekend, Zhang Yi, deputy director of the Guangzhou health commission, told the newspaper that the city was “experiencing the most complex and severe Covid-19 prevention and control situation in three years”.

Zhang Zhoubin, Communist Party secretary of the Guangzhou Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, told The South China Morning Post on Sunday the new outbreak was mostly caused by the fast spread of the Omicron BA.5.2 variant.

“The virus is fast, stealthy and can lead to aerosol transmission in dense buildings and alleyways, so the dense population created a suitable environment for transmission,” he said.

China, which is following strict COVID-19 restrictions, registered 4,420 new locally transmitted COVID-19 infections on Saturday.

This is the highest daily count in cases registered in the past six months.

China’s last highest number of cases was reported on May 6. However, even after China’s highhandedness in tackling the pandemic, a day earlier on Friday, China reported 3,659 new local cases, reported Al Jazeera as quoted by ANI.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.