February 19, 2026 11:25 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message
China Lockdown
Representational image by Shengpengpeng Cai on Unsplash

China's strict lockdown: Migrant workers forced home, factory owners struggling to survive

| @indiablooms | Nov 14, 2022, at 05:17 pm

Beijing: Lockdowns in China’s southern manufacturing hub of Guangzhou have sent migrant workers scurrying for home and left the thousands of micro- and small-sized enterprises that they rely on for employment wondering whether they will be able to survive the latest onslaught of COVID-19.

Guangzhou is at the centre of the latest nationwide surge in cases after it reported more than 2,000 on Wednesday, with mass testing and lockdowns in place for its 19 million population, reports The South China Morning Post.

China’s largest fabric market, Zhongda, is usually home to some 100,000 employees, but the 5 sq km (1.9 square miles) market, one and a half times the size of New York’s Central Park, is almost empty.

Zhongda had been until last week the home and workplace for Hu An, a skilled migrant worker from Hubei province, but he hurriedly packed up his belongings and returned home to undergo five days of local authority mandated quarantine.

“The outbreak means the end of this year’s work for me. The owners and workers at most of the small workshops and factories have much less income this year compared to last year,” 30-something Hu told the newspaper.

Huang Weijie, a mobile vendor selling clothes across urban cities in the Pearl River Delta, also rushed back to Yangxi.

In his hometown, he is continuing his street stall business.

“I was selling clothes travelling in Shenzhen, Foshan, Shunde and Dongguan, and found that the flow of people was much less than last year,” Huang told the newspaper.

Chinese authorities have put several regions in the city under lockdown.

China is following strict Zero COVID-9 restrictions.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.