February 16, 2026 11:19 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Two women suicide attackers revealed as BLA claims responsibility for one of Balochistan’s deadliest attacks.
BLA
BLA releases photos of two suicide attackers, Hawa Baloch and Asifa Mengal. Photo: X/@miryar_baloch

Female suicide attackers emerge at centre of deadly BLA assaults that rocked Pakistan’s Balochistan

| @indiablooms | Feb 02, 2026, at 02:54 pm

The Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) has released photographs of two suicide attackers involved in the recent wave of coordinated, large-scale assaults across Pakistan’s restive Balochistan province.

In a striking revelation, both attackers were women, underscoring a sharp escalation in the militant group’s tactics.

The attacks, which unfolded across multiple towns and cities, claimed nearly 50 lives, including at least 17 personnel from Pakistan’s security forces.

Following the violence, Pakistani forces launched an extensive counter-operation that lasted more than 40 hours, killing at least 145 militants so far, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti said on Sunday.

Pakistan’s Defence Minister Khawaja Asif confirmed that two of the attacks were carried out by female perpetrators.

Asifa Mengal

In its statement, the banned BLA identified one of the suicide bombers as 24-year-old Asifa Mengal.

She was described as the daughter of Mohammad Ismail and a resident of Nushki district in Balochistan.

According to the group, Mengal was born on October 2, 2002, and joined the BLA’s elite Majeed Brigade on her 21st birthday.

The statement claimed she chose to become a “fidayee”, or suicide attacker, in January 2024 and was responsible for targeting the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) headquarters in Nushki during Saturday’s attack.

Hawa Baloch

A video circulating online purportedly shows the second woman attacker shortly before the assault. She has been identified as Hawa Baloch.

In the footage, she appears alongside male BLA militants, mocking the Pakistani government while holding a large firearm.

Speaking in Balochi, she accuses the state of exercising power only against what she describes as oppressed women, while lacking the ability to confront militants directly.

She urges the Baloch people to “awaken” and stand united with Baloch fighters, insisting there can be no compromise with the Pakistani state.

The video has added to the shock surrounding the attacks and drawn attention to the increasing role of women in militant operations.

Coordinated attacks across Balochistan

The violence began on Friday night and continued through Saturday, with attacks reported from several districts.

Balochistan government spokesperson Shahid Rind said incidents were recorded in Nushki, Hub, Chaman, Naseerabad, Gwadar and the Makran region.

Pakistan’s junior minister Talal Chaudhry said militants disguised as civilians entered public spaces, including schools, banks, markets and hospitals, before opening fire, intensifying fear across the province.

Chief Minister Bugti said authorities had intelligence indicating such an operation was being planned, enabling security forces to respond swiftly and prevent militants from seizing control of any city or strategic installation.

Operation Herof

The BLA said it had launched the second phase of its campaign, codenamed “Herof” or “black storm”, targeting security forces across Balochistan.

The Pakistani military, however, said all attempts by militants to capture cities or key installations were successfully repelled.

Balochistan, Pakistan’s largest yet poorest province, borders Afghanistan and Iran and has witnessed a decades-long insurgency.

Baloch separatist groups have long demanded independence or greater control over the region’s abundant natural resources, frequently accusing the central government of marginalisation.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.