February 18, 2026 10:16 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Antonio Guterres
Image: UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe

Guterres condemns apparent coup attempt in Niger

| @indiablooms | Jul 28, 2023, at 09:55 pm

The UN Secretary-General António Guterres has strongly condemned an attempted power grab in the West African nation of Niger, following reports that the democratically elected president is being held by some of his own guards inside his official residence.

According to news reports, the officers seized President Mohamed Bazoum and blockaded his residence in the capital Niamey on Wednesday, leading the African Union Commission Chair, to describe their actions as “tantamount to an attempted coup d’etat” – although there have been no reports so far of gunfire.

The would be plotters have reportedly not gained support from other elements of the military or security forces, but talks to secure the president’s release have been unsuccessful so far.

‘Betrayal’ of duty

Moussa Faki condemned the military “acting in total betrayal of their republican duty”, urging the “felon soldiers” to return to their barracks.

The main regional bloc ECOWAS also condemned the “attempted coup” calling on the officers holding the president to release him immediately.

In a short statement released by his Spokesperson, Mr. Guterres said he was following the evolving situation in Niger closely.

Undermining democracy

“He condemns in the strongest terms any effort to seize power by force and to undermine democratic governance, peace and stability in Niger.

“The Secretary-General calls on all actors involved to exercise restraint and to ensure the protection of constitutional order”, the statement continued.

The UN said it would always stand by the Government and the people of Niger.

The neighbouring countries of Mali and Burkina Faso, have both experienced military coups in the past few years, in the wake of growing jihadist insurgencies which have destabilized the entire region.

There are two militant groups allied to both al-Qaeda and ISIL operating within Niger itself, one which crossed the border with Mali eight years ago, and the other from a base in northeast Nigeria.

There have been four coups since Niger gained independence from France in 1960, the last occurring in 2010.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.