February 16, 2026 09:25 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Bangladesh
Hindu trader Susen Chandra Sarkar dies in Bangladesh. Photo: Unsplash

A 62-year-old Hindu businessman was hacked to death by unidentified attackers in Bangladesh’s Mymensingh region, according to media reports, in an incident that occurred just days before the country is set to vote in national elections.

The victim, identified as Susen Chandra Sarkar, was attacked inside his rice shop at Bogar Bazar intersection under Trishal Police Station. The assault took place around 11 pm on Monday, Trishal Police Station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Muhammad Firoz Hossain told bdnews24.

According to police, the assailants attacked Sarkar with a sharp weapon, left him inside the shop, and pulled down the shutters before fleeing. Family members later opened the shop after searching for him and found him lying in a pool of blood.

He was rushed to Mymensingh Medical College Hospital, where doctors declared him dead.

Sarkar’s son, Sujan Sarkar, told bdnews24 that the family had been running the rice business for a long time and had no known disputes with anyone. He alleged that the attackers looted several hundred thousand taka from the store after killing his father and demanded that those responsible be identified and brought to justice.

Police said the body has been sent to the Mymensingh Medical College Hospital morgue for post-mortem examination and that legal proceedings are under way. No arrests had been reported at the time of publication.

The killing comes amid heightened political tensions ahead of Bangladesh’s February 12 general election — the first since former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina was removed from office in 2024 following mass protests. An interim government led by Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus is currently overseeing the country.

Meanwhile, a coalition of human rights groups, faith-based organisations and civil society leaders has issued an emergency appeal expressing concern over alleged violence against Hindus and other minorities in Bangladesh.

The appeal, led by the Hindus Advancing Human Rights Initiative (HAHRI), calls for international attention and intervention. In a letter addressed to global bodies and governments, the coalition cited what it described as “grave and continuing human rights violations” against members of the Hindu minority community. It urged protection under the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) 2007.

The letter alleges reports of murder, intimidation, destruction of property and systematic persecution, claiming that more than 125 organisations and individuals from 15 countries have endorsed the appeal.

It also calls on the United Nations, the United States, the European Union, India and other international actors to take steps to safeguard minority communities.

The coalition further claimed there has been a sustained demographic decline among Hindus in Bangladesh due to forced migration and persecution, and warned that rising extremism could pose broader regional risks.

These allegations and figures, including claims of 2,673 attacks on minorities between August 2024 and November 30, 2025, could not be independently verified.

The letter also referenced the December 18, 2025 killing of Dipu Chandra Das, a Hindu labourer who was allegedly lynched following accusations of blasphemy.

Footage of the incident circulated on social media and drew international condemnation.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.