May 23, 2026 11:23 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Big twist in RG Kar case! Calcutta HC orders fresh probe into evidence destruction allegations | Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan shot dead in PoK by unknown gunmen: Reports | NIA arrests Kolkata man for spying for Pakistan intelligence network | Cockroach Janta Party X handle withheld! Founder Abhijeet Dipke launches comeback account | Bengal govt makes Vande Mataram compulsory in all madrasas, extends school directive | RBI on alert! Interest rate hike may be coming as rupee crashes to fresh low | Big relief for Maharashtra employees! Fadnavis govt hikes DA to 60% | Twisha Sharma death mystery deepens as crucial evidence ‘not shared’ during autopsy: Report | Balcony Smiles, Colosseum Walks and ‘Melodi’ Magic: Modi-Meloni Chemistry Has The Internet Swooning Again | Big relief signal for Umar Khalid, Sharjeel Imam? Supreme Court questions earlier bail denial

More than 100 feared dead as massive landslide hits Sri Lanka

| | Oct 30, 2014, at 02:51 am
Colombo, Oct 29 (IBNS): At least 100 people were feared killed in south-central Sri Lanka on Wednesday after an early morning landslide set off by heavy monsoon rains, media reported.
According to information received, the incident took place in the hilly village of Haldummulla, about 190 km inland from the capital, Colombo. 
 
Media reported that more than 150 houses were buried in the massive landslide. 
 
Around 10 bodies had been found so far, at least 300 people were missing and 150 houses buried in the village, famous for its tea plantations. 
 
"We are not sure about the others. But we are trying our best to rescue them," Disaster Management Minister Mahinda Amaraweera told media. 
 
It has been learnt that, people are believed to be buried beneath 10 to 15 feet of mud. 
 
“We don’t know how many people are under the soil,” media quoted Udaya Kumara, assistant director at the Disaster Management Center as saying, who is responsible for the district where the landslide occurred. 
 
He added, “I think more than 100 people will be dead.” 
 
This was reiterated by Amaraweera who later said, “More than 100 people are believed to have died.” 
 
The landslide which hit Wednesday was at least 3 km (2 miles) long. 
 
The villagers had been advised in 2005 and 2012 to move away because of the threat of landslides in the area, but many did not heed the warning, lamented Amaraweera. 
 
It has been learnt that about 75 children had miraculously escaped the disaster, because they were in school.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.