February 19, 2026 12:03 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Auckland
Image: Wikimedia Commons

New Zealand: Two die in shooting incident ahead of Women's World Cup opening ceremony in Auckland

| @indiablooms | Jul 20, 2023, at 11:01 pm

Auckland: New Zealand witnessed the deaths of two people after a shooting incident in Auckland occurred hours before the start of the Fifa Women's World Cup in the city.

Six other people, including police officers, were injured and the gunman is also dead after the incident at 07:22 (19:22 GMT) on a construction site in the central business district, reports BBC.

New Zealand PM Chris Hipkins said the attack was not seen as an act of terrorism.

The tournament would go ahead as planned, he confirmed as quoted by BBC.

While no political or ideological motive for the attack had been identified, police had neutralised the threat and the public could be assured that there was no ongoing risk, the prime minister said.

Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown said the incident was not related to the World Cup.

He said in a statement: “I can’t remember anything like this ever happening in our beautiful city. This morning’s events have been tragic and distressing for all Aucklanders, as this is not something that we are used to."

"What we know is that this is an isolated incident. This appears to be the act of one individual, this was not a threat to national security, nor was it in any way related to the FIFA Women’s World Cup Event," he said.

He condoled the loss of lives in the incident.

Meanwhile, the shooter was identified as 24-year-old Matu Tangi Matua Reid.

Speaking of the shooter, Police Commissioner Andrew Coster said: " We understand that he has worked at the construction site and we believe the reason for his presence at the site this morning was connected with that work."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.