February 19, 2026 02:06 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
Wagner mutiny
Image Credit: Twitter video grab

Russia to drop case against Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin after peace deal brokered by Belarus

| @indiablooms | Jun 25, 2023, at 07:26 pm

Moscow: Yevgeny Prigozhin, the leader of the Wagner private military group, who led an armed mutiny against the military leadership in Moscow, would depart for Belarus, and the criminal case against him would be dismissed.

"Avoiding bloodshed, internal confrontation, and clashes with unpredictable results was the highest goal," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters, AFP reported.

Under the deal mediated by Belarusian President Aleksander Lukashenko, Wagner fighters will not be prosecuted and allowed to leave, Peskov added.

"We have always respected their heroic deeds at the front."

Earlier in the day, the Belarusian presidential office said that PMC Wagner head, Yevgeny Prigozhin, had accepted Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko's proposal to stop the movement of Wagner troops in Russia and take further steps to de-escalate the situation, Sputnik reported.

Prigozhin later confirmed the information, saying that Wagner troops were returning back to their field camps.

On Saturday, tensions escalated between Yevgeny Prigozhin, the head of Wagner, and Russia's military leadership.

Wagner mercenaries seized a crucial army headquarters in southern Russia and moved towards the capital, posing a potential threat.

Kremlin spokesperson Peskov stated that the rebellion led by Wagner would not affect Russia's ongoing campaign against Kyiv and emphasized that such a notion was not being considered.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.