February 19, 2026 03:33 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Sri Lankan catholic churches hold 1st Sunday mass since Easter deadly blasts- Reports

| @indiablooms | May 12, 2019, at 11:13 pm

Colombo, May 12 (Sputnik/UNI) Sri Lankan Catholic churches held their first regular Sunday mass since the Easter Sunday bombings, in which over 250 people were killed on April 21, local media reported.

St. Sebastian's Church in Negombo became on Thursday the first Sri Lankan Catholic church to reopen after the tragedy, the News1st broadcaster recalled. Hundreds of people attended the service. Meanwhile, on Sunday, Catholic churches nationwide held their regular mass. Security officers ensured safety of those attending the mass.

Under the new regulations, parishioners are banned from taking bags to churches. They are also required to show their identity documents before entering churches. It is expected that special committees that will be tasked with ensuring security and detecting suspicious people will be formed soon.

A series of explosions hit different venues in Sri Lanka, including churches and hotels, on April 21. Three more explosions rocked the country's eastern city of Kalmunai on April 26. The Islamic State terrorist group (banned in Russia) has reportedly claimed responsibility for both attacks.

Sri Lankan police chief Chandana Wickramaratne said earlier in the week that all the suspected organizers of the Easter blasts had been arrested or eliminated.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.