February 19, 2026 03:36 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback

Terror group behind Sri Lanka blasts possessed LKR 140 million cash and assets worth LKR 7 billion

| @indiablooms | May 07, 2019, at 11:10 am

Colombo, May 7 (IBNS): In a new revelation from the investigation, police have found that the ISIS-linked Sri Lankan extremist group National Thowheed Jamaath (NTJ) responsible for carrying out the Sri Lankan blasts possessed 140 million in cash and assets worth Rs. 7 billion, media reports said.

"Half of the cash has been taken under CID custody and the remainder was found deposited in several bank accounts. The CID has taken measures to suspend those accounts," police spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekera has been quoted by media.

“Other assets belonging to this group of terrorists’ worth over Rs. [LKR] 7 billion has also been found during the CID investigations and measures are being taken to seize these assets,” he said.

“In relation to the April 21 Easter Sunday suicide attacks targeting several locations including three churches and three prominent hotels, the Police has succeeded in arresting 73 suspects so far and they are being held under the custody of the TID and CID, SP Gunasekara said. 

Eight blasts rocked Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday and left the country shocked, killing over 250 people.

Among 250 killed people in the Easter Sunday blasts, 11 were Indians and early 500 others injured.

In a major event since the Island Nation was hit by eight blasts on Easter Sunday, the attackers set off explosives after an hour-long gun battle with police on Saturday while they were conduction raid in Kalmunai.

Meanwhile, The Hindu reported that in the first instance of anti-Muslim violence reported since the blasts, a mob late on Sunday attacked homes and vehicles owed by Muslims in Negombo, some 40 km north of Colombo.

The coastal town, among the targets on April 21, lost over a 100 people in the blast at its St. Sebastian’s church, the Chennai-based daily reported.

A police curfew was imposed to curb the violence.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.