February 18, 2026 01:50 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
A view of New York City. Photo: Pixabay

Trump administration halts new student visa interviews as it considers to expand social media screening: Report

| @indiablooms | May 28, 2025, at 12:31 am

Washington DC/IBNS: US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has ordered all embassies across the world to halt scheduling any new interviews for student-visa applicants as the Donald Trump administration is considering ramping up the scrutiny of social media profiles, according to a report by Politico.

“Effective immediately, in preparation for an expansion of required social media screening and vetting, consular sections should not add any additional student or exchange visitor (F, M and J) visa appointment capacity until further guidance is issued,” Rubio wrote in a cable, obtained by Politico.

This directive was sent out worldwide to diplomats, amid the administration's efforts to limit the entry of foreign students in America, claiming that they have contributed to an anti-semitic atmosphere.

According to the cable, interviews that have already been scheduled are permitted to go ahead.

If the administration carries out the plan, it could severely slow down student visa processing.

It could also impact many universities that rely heavily on foreign students to boost their financial coffers.

The Trump administration had earlier imposed some social media screening requirements, but those were largely aimed at returning students who may have participated in protests against Israel’s actions in Gaza.

"The cable doesn’t directly spell out what the future social media vetting would screen for, but it alludes to executive orders that are aimed at keeping out terrorists and battling antisemitism," Politico reported.

This comes after the Donald Trump Administration last week barred the prestigious Harvard University from enrolling international students.

The administration had said the decision was taken amid an ongoing investigation into the university by the Department of Homeland Security.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.