February 19, 2026 08:26 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
PM Modi warns ‘AI must not control humans’ as India unveils bold tech vision at AI Impact Summit 2026 | Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol sentenced to life over failed martial law bid | Tata Group joins hands with OpenAI in massive AI push to transform India and global industries | Epstein Files row: Bill Gates to skip keynote address at AI Summit 2026 | AI Impact Summit: Google launches game-changing America-India Connect plan with $15 billion backing | AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message

UN says Chile’s investment in disaster risk reduction paid off

| | Sep 18, 2015, at 02:20 pm
New York, Sept 18 (IBNS): The head of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) on Thursday lauded the Chilean Government’s successful efforts to reduce disaster risk and minimise the number of casualties from the 8.3-magnitude earthquake and tsunami which occurred on Thursday night.

“Chile’s investment in resilient infrastructure, early warning systems and urban planning have ensured that casualties have been low on this occasion despite the intensity of the earthquake,” Margareta Wahlström said in a statement.

According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), Chilean authorities declared a disaster area in the Choapa and Coquimbo provinces of Coquimbo region following the earthquake, which took the lives of eight people.

“Early warnings have been very effective in saving lives and the country’s mechanism for ensuring compliance with building codes has also paid dividends,” Wahlström added.

He said, “The evacuation of one million people ensured that there was no repetition of the loss of life which happened five years ago when 523 people died.”

She further explained that the fact that one million people had to be evacuated to escape the threat of high waves and coastal flooding is evidence that the world is seeing a huge surge in exposure to natural hazards, as more and more people live in coastal areas and river basins exposed to tsunamis and storms.

Meanwhile, while OCHA and its partners continue to monitor any possible impact in the Pacific region, “none of significance” is expected at this stage, it noted.

Chile is among the many disaster-prone countries that played a key role in formulating the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, a global plan for reducing disaster losses that was adopted earlier this year at a UN conference held in the Japanese city.

Photo: UN Photo/Evan Schneider

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.