February 17, 2026 04:32 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback | BJP MP files notice to cancel Rahul Gandhi's Lok Sabha membership, seeks life-long ban | Arrested in the morning, out by evening: Tycoon’s son walks free in Lamborghini crash case | ‘Why should you denigrate a section of society?’: Supreme Court pulls up ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ makers
Immigration Protests
Trades workers protest Ontario Immigration Program suspension at Queen’s Park, Toronto. Photo: YouTube Screengrab

'Unfair and Unacceptable': Trades workers protest after Ontario cancels 2,680 immigration applications

| @indiablooms | Nov 21, 2025, at 01:46 am

Toronto/IBNS: Over a hundred skilled trades workers and their supporters gathered for a third consecutive day of protests outside Queen’s Park, Toronto on Wednesday, demanding that the Ontario government reverse its sudden suspension of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP).

The province’s decision, announced on November 14, led to the cancellation and return of approximately 2,680 pending applications.

Ontario’s immigration program selects eligible foreign workers and international students for nomination toward permanent residency if they possess “the skills and experience the Ontario economy needs,” the province’s website says.

The government cited systemic misrepresentation and fraud concerns within the Skilled Trades Stream as the reason for the suspension.

This move has left many workers in precarious legal status, uncertain about their future in Ontario.

The OINP’s review found widespread misrepresentation and eligibility fraud that compromised the programme’s integrity and ability to meet labour market needs.

The OINP office said in a statement Friday that it had identified “systemic misrepresentation and/or fraud” related to the Skilled Trades Stream eligibility criteria.

Affected workers have protested at Queen’s Park to urge the government to reconsider the decision and reinstate their applications.

Trades workers protest Ontario Immigration Program suspension at Queen’s Park, Toronto. Photo: YouTube Screengrab

Protesters emphasised that many had been waiting for years, with some already contributing significantly to the provincial economy.

“They have painted all of us with the same brush, so they are telling all of us are frauds,” said protester Shafna Shamsudheen, as quoted by CBC News.

The government has yet to announce plans on how or when the Skilled Trades Stream might be restructured or reinstated.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.