February 19, 2026 12:02 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
AI takes centre stage as Modi meets Google CEO Sundar Pichai in Delhi | G7 Spotlight: Emmanuel Macron invites Narendra Modi for 2026 Summit | AI Summit embarrassment! Galgotias University asked to vacate stall after ‘own robot’ exposed as China’s Unitree Go2 | Actor Rajpal Yadav granted interim bail in ₹9-crore cheque bounce case | Learn AI or become redundant: Microsoft India President issues stark message | India’s wholesale inflation rises to 1.81% in January as manufacturing prices surge | 'India at forefront of AI revolution': PM Modi welcomes world leaders to Delhi summit | Rs 5,000 to women ahead of Tamil Nadu polls! Vijay slams Stalin, says: ‘take the money, blow the whistle’ | Modi congratulates Tarique Rahman as BNP clinches majority in Bangladesh polls | Bangladesh Polls: Tarique Rahman-led BNP secures 'absolute majority' with 151 seats in historic comeback
World Food Programme
Image: WFP/Jonathan Dumont

WFP forced to slash food aid as half of all Haitians go hungry

| @indiablooms | Jul 18, 2023, at 11:07 pm

New York: The UN World Food Programme (WFP) has been compelled to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance in Haiti due to a lack of funding, affecting around 100,000 people, the agency reported on Monday.

This reduction in aid comes at a time when Haiti is grappling with a severe humanitarian crisis, with almost half of its population, approximately 4.9 million people, unable to access sufficient food.

Further cuts possible

“It’s tragic being unable to reach some of the most vulnerable Haitians this month. These cuts could not come at a worse time, as Haitians face a multi-layered humanitarian crisis, their lives and livelihoods upended by violence, insecurity, economic turmoil and climate shocks”, said Jean-Martin Bauer, WFP Country Director for Haiti.

“Unless we receive immediate funding, further devastating cuts cannot be ruled out.”

In various regions, similar crises arising from reduced funding have led to significant cuts in emergency aid provision. In West Africa, the number of individuals receiving crucial assistance from the WFP has been reduced from 11.6 million to around 6.2 million.

And in Syria, instead of providing aid to 5.5 million people, that figure has been reduced to three million who are being prioritised. In Jordan, approximately 50,000 out of 465,000 refugees will see their support cut, the agency has reported.

Severe shortfall

WFP's response plan in Haiti for the first half of 2023 is only 16 per cent funded, leaving a shortfall of $121 million needed to sustain vital humanitarian assistance until the end of the year.

In the first half of 2023, WFP was able to provide 450,000 school children in Haiti with a hot meal. For many, it is their only full meal of the day. However, without additional funds, almost half of these children will lose access to school meals when they return to class after the summer break.

“We are proud of what we’ve been able to achieve so far in 2023, thanks to support from our donors. We have the people, the plan, and the capacity to continue, but at this point, without immediate funding, we’re forced to make cuts which mean thousands of the most vulnerable Haitians won’t receive assistance this year,” said Mr. Bauer.

“This isn’t the time to cut back. It’s the time to step up. We can’t let Haitians down when they need us the most.”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.